The trip is over but the journey continues

After a hiatus to prep, pack and actually go on some adventures I am now back safe and sound with stories to tell and lots of thoughts to ponder.

This is not going to be a travelogue, documenting the step by step daily grind. Face it, that consisted of moving my feet and clocking miles ... not the most interesting stuff.

It's what happens to you and around you that is interesting to me, so as this blog continues it will not be linear in time but will instead be a collection of stories about assorted trips.

I hope you enjoy these tales, ranging from emotional lows to fleeting highs, dangerous moments and inspiring successes, people we met good and bad, and how the people interacted with each other and how I changed from all of the above.

How does this all add up and what happened? Read on ...

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Hiking the Neighborhood

An evening walk can be a remarkably calming and even therapeutic event. I especially enjoy walking in the dark, because in the summer it is cooler and in the winter it may be your only option with the sun setting so early. Morning walks? Occasionally, but in general I find getting up to do anything that isn't mandatory to be a challenge, so I am confined to after work and weekends to pursue exercise.

The act itself is magical, in my book. Surrounded by darkness and quiet except for the occasional door slamming or dog barking, I walk with my senses slightly heightened but my mind free to contemplate. Once in a while you pass another night-walker, perhaps a man out with his dog or a group of teens walking in a pack from house to house, or a lone jogger who breathes by in a split second of recognition.

It's mostly smooth walking, be it concrete sidewalks or the occasional foray on to the asphalt street. You can get in to a rhythm with your steps, your breathing, even your thoughts as you move along effortlessly, not worrying about the uneven terrain of a trail but with a thought or two about the upended sidewalk block or the carelessly left behind child's toy that can wreak havoc on your ankle or foot.

A neighborhood walk has some advantages:  such as you are already there so no drive time to add in to your busy day and no special equipment is needed. If you get cold, wet or dirty it doesn't really matter since your destination is home and presumably you can get clean and warm as soon as you return.

The experts claim great health benefits from a brisk walk and I can attest that the mental health benefits are outstanding. Many an issue has been worked out in my brain during a long walk in the neighborhood.

In future posts I will talk about walking vs hiking. You could argue the relative advantages of walking vs hiking and perhaps even try to convince me that taking a walk is "less than" in terms of training. I would counter by saying that doing something is better then nothing!

If you don't walk, try it! If you are already a hiker, don't look down on hiking's kinder and gentler option ... you may find yourself feeling calmer, stronger and fitter by simply stepping out the front door.












No comments:

Post a Comment